The horse’s digestive system is sensitive and prone to upset, and with the additional stress of training and competing, many event horses are at risk of experiencing digestive issues.
Periods of stress such as travelling, stabling away, competition, changes in forage or diet and alterations to routine can be triggers for digestive upset.
While some horses show very obvious signs of digestive discomfort, other horses may be suffering without showing any outward signs. Typical symptoms can include but are not limited to:
- Loose droppings
- Weight loss
- Lack of appetite
- Discomfort when girthing or rugging
- Poor performance
- Sensitivity to touch
- Dull coat
While there are many risk factors which can’t always be avoided, the key is management to ensure your horse’s digestive system is supported during these stressful times. The below guidelines may help to reduce the risk of digestive upset:
- Turnout and forage: the saliva produced during ad lib forage or grass consumption acts as a natural stomach buffer and helps keep your horse’s digestive tract moving
- Feeding before exercise: a small fibre-based meal before exercise can prevent the stomach from acid splash during exercise
- Avoid periods of fasting: horses left long periods of time without forage are seen to be significantly more at risk of digestive issues
- Water intake: maintaining water intake is imperative to avoid blockages and impactions, horses deprived of water are significantly more at risk of developing digestive problems
- Supplement: some horses may benefit from targeted additional gastrointestinal support
BETTALIFE® PharmaTRAC Total Digestive Support is a proven digestive tract supplement which targets both the fore and hind gut to maintain an optimal gastric environment with a normal pH level and fermentation patterns. PharmaTRAC can be fed daily as part of a maintenance programme, or strategically during times of stress (such as travelling or competing) for targeted support.
Containing only the highest-grade active ingredients and zero fillers, PharmaTRAC is a palatable powder to be added to feed to support stomach and intestinal health. There are no restrictions on the use of PharmaTRAC in competition or otherwise and it fully conforms to Clean Sport guidelines. As with all BETTALIFE® products, PharmaTRAC comes with a no-quibble money back guarantee.
If you do have concerns about your horse’s digestive health speak to a veterinary professional for further advice.
Take a look at the ingredients and learn more about PharmaTRAC here: https://bit.ly/BETTALIFE-PharmaTRAC