Some 300 people enjoyed the glitz and glamour of the Horse & Hound awards ceremony and dancing afterwards at Dallas Burston Polo Club, Warwickshire.
Eventers were the big winners of the night, with Badminton victor and European champion Ros Canter named HorseDialog Professional Rider of the Year, the Voltaire Design Badminton Grassroots BE90 champion Amy Dixon landing the Spillers Horse Feeds Amateur Rider of the Year title and Alice Casburn (pictured above) the Tommy Hilfiger Young Rider of the Year award. The Black Nova Designs Event Horse of the Year went to Ros’s winning Badminton ride Lordships Graffalo, owned by Michele Saul.
Terry Pendry (pictured above), stud groom to The late Queen, received the Lifetime Achievement award at last night’s Horse & Hound Awards, in partnership with NAF.
Terry worked for Her Majesty from 1994 until her death in 2022, springing to public prominence when he accompanied Fell pony Carltonlima Emma at The Queen’s funeral. He retired earlier this year.
“Thank you Horse & Hound, I am deeply humbled and honoured. You were Her Majesty’s favourite magazine – along with the Racing Post,” said Terry as he accepted the award. “I had many magical moments riding with Her Majesty. She was the most amazing lady, she served with such grace and dignity. We miss her so very much. But we have to turn the pages of history. Her Majesty and the late Duke of Edinburgh had long and fulfilled lives. They are at rest now in St George’s Chapel. I am there regularly and I let her know every week how Emma [The late Queen’s last favourite hack] is getting on and how the old racehorses are doing.”
Dressage was well represented when double European medallist and world champion Glamourdale, ridden by Lottie Fry, scooped the Stretch & Flex by Equilibrium Dressage Horse of the Year prize. National circuit hero Flying Tinker II, a home-bred for rider Mark Edwards, was named Whickr Showjumping Horse of the Year, while in showing Horse of the Year Show supreme champion Forgeland Hyde Park picked up the EQUO-sponsored title.
In addition, unsung heroes from the worlds of farriery, veterinary practice and volunteering were among the winners, while eight-year-old Dylan Ward, who continues to pursue his riding dreams during treatment for a rare form of bone cancer, took home The Horse & Hound Podcast Inspiration of the Year award.
The Horse & Hound Awards 2023 winners are:
● Stretch & Flex by Equilibrium Dressage Horse of the Year: Glamourdale
● Black Nova Designs Event Horse of the Year: Lordships Graffalo
● Whickr Showjumping Horse of the Year: Flying Tinker II
● EQUO Show Horse of the Year: Forgeland Hyde Park
● HorseDialog Professional Rider of the Year: Ros Canter
● Spillers Horse Feeds Amateur Rider of the Year: Amy Dixon
● Tommy Hilfiger Young Rider of the Year: Alice Casburn
● NAF Five Star PROFEET Farrier of the Year: Matt Strawson
● Absorbine Groom of the Year: Lucy Scudamore
● NAF Natural VetCare Unsung Hero of the Year: Sarah Hills
● Baileys Horse Feeds Vet of the Year: Sophie Fulton
● Agria Horse of a Lifetime: Cashel Bay JJ
● The Horse & Hound Podcast Inspiration of the Year: Dylan Ward
● The Horse & Hound Lifetime Achievement award: Terry Pendry
Image of Alice Casburn courtesy of Peter Nixon